At the risk of sounding repetitive, here is the list of my homeade lunches for the week.
- Monday: I kind of cheated here… I made my lunch Sunday Night, but my boss bought me lunch on Monday (a chicken salad sandwich), so I didn’t eat my prepared lunch until Tuesday.
- Tuesday: Peanut butter sandwich on wheat, cooked spinach, an apple, a carrot, and a cherry yogurt.
- Wednesday: BBQ’d chicken leftovers, peanut butter sandwich, apple, carrot.
- Thursday: Pasta Mix with marinara sauce, succotash, and chickpeas, apple, carrot, yogurt.
- Friday: Pasta Mix with marinara sauce, succotash, and chickpeas, apple, carrot, yogurt and a peanut butter sandwich on wheat.
By Friday I was actually bringing in too much to eat in one sitting!
Overall I’m happy with the results. Homemade lunch seems a lot more appetizing right now than it did before. I’m no gourmet cook, but the food I packed actually does make me feel better than some greasy Chinese food or a fast-food pita pocket. It did take a bit of effort to make sure I made the lunch the night before; when I had crashed on the couch at 10PM watching some rerun of Scrubs, lunch was the last thing on my mind. I found that making lunch and dinner at the same time was an efficient way to get my lunch ready while avoiding the conflict of interests at 10PM.
I’m going to say this excercise was a success, even though technically someone bought me lunch on Monday. (Of note: I did come quite close to failing on Wednesday, when I actually forgot to bring my lunch with me to work. I had resigned myself to purchasing a lunch, but luckily I was able to contact my neighbor/co-worker Greg and ask him to grab my lunch for me on his way in.)